Cauliflower popcorn recipe?!? Yes! Crisp, garlicky and moreish, these florets of cauliflower dipped in cheesy breadcrumbs make a great, healthier snack for movie night! Everyone can choose their favourite dip & enjoy!
less than 30 mins
30 mins to 1 hour
Serves 6, as a snack
1 cauliflower, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
1 free-range egg
2 tbsp milk (or milk alternative)
100g/3½oz fresh breadcrumbs (option – use gluten-free bread)
25g/1oz Parmesan, or alternative vegetarian hard cheese, finely grated
1 tsp garlic granules or powder
2 sprigs of thyme, leaves only
1 rounded tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp dried oregano
salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to Cook
- Cook the cauliflower in a pan of salted boiling water for 2 minutes, or until only just tender.
- Drain the cauliflower and tip it onto a tray lined with kitchen paper. Leave it to steam dry for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 4.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg and milk. In another large bowl combine the breadcrumbs, Parmesan, garlic granules, thyme, smoked paprika and dried oregano and season well with salt and pepper.
- Tip the cauliflower into the egg and milk mixture and mix well, making sure the egg gets into all the creases and crevices of each cauliflower piece. Tip the cauliflower into the breadcrumbs and toss to coat.
- Arrange the cauliflower on a baking tray in a single layer and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 20 minutes, or until starting to turn crisp and golden-brown. Using a fish slice turn the cauliflower pieces over and cook for a further 10 minutes, or until crisp all over.
- Serve while still warm.
These are delicious with a tangy tomato salsa or cool herby yogurt dip on the side. Nana’s Manners Stage 2 plates are perfect to use to divide your cauli-popcorn and favourite dips! Option of using a fork to save sticky fingers!
Taken from BBC Good Food website with our own added tweaks!